No other author documents the Mac OS the way Robin Williams does. In The Robin Williams Mac OS X Book, Jaguar Edition updated to include Mac OS X 10.2, she brings her inimitable approach to Apple's radically redesigned OS, eschewing jargon for straightforward explanations and a good dose of humor. It's an approach that works equally as well for newcomers looking for a gentle introduction to the Macintosh as it does for experienced Mac users upgrading to Mac OS X 10.2.
This practical, how-to guide covers all of the exciting new features in Mac OS X 10.2, including the revamped Finder, new instant messaging client, global address book, spam-blocking email program, QuickTime 6, Sherlock 3, and more. Robin doesn't neglect the basics either. You'll find logical, easy-to-follow sections on how to use your Mac for a variety of everyday tasks: printing, sending email, exchanging files, and surfing the Web. And for those frustrating moments When Things Go Wrong, Robin has compiled a troubleshooting guide for common Mac snafus. See for yourself why Robin's books have won her millions of fans.
Robin is a fourth-generation Californian on both sides, born in Berkeley and raised in the Bay Area. She lived in Sonoma County for 15 years, then in 1993, she packed up her kids, the dog, and two cats and moved to New Mexico.
I. START HERE.
1. For Experienced Mac OS 9 Users: 'Where'd it Go!'
2. What is all This?
II. THE BASICS.
4. All About the Mouse (or Trackpad).
5. Keys and the Keyboard.
6. Menus and Shortcuts.
7. Understanding Icons.
8. All About Using the Dock.
9. Understanding the Desktop and the Finder.
10. How to Use Windows.
11. How to Use Folders.
12. Selecting and Copying Files.
13. Opening Documents and Applications.
14. Word Processing (Typing).
15. Saving Your Documents.
16. Printing Your Documents.
17. Closing and Quitting.
18. Trashing Files.
19. Ejecting Disks.
20. Shut Down or Restart.
III. BEYOND THE BASICS.
21. Multiple Users and Their Homes.
22. Customizing Your Mac with System Preferences.
23. Using Aliases.
24. Using Favorites.
25. Finding Things with Sherlock.
26. Managing Your Fonts.
27. Show Info.
28. Using Some of the Included Applications and Utilities.
29. Hard Disk vs. Memory.
IV. THE INTERNET.
30. What is the Internet?
31. Using the World Wide Web.
32. Connecting to the Internet and the Web.
33. Email, iTools, and iDisk.
V. BASIC NETWORKING AND SHARING.
34. How to Share Files with Multiple Users on One Computer.
35. How to Share Files in a Small Office or Home.
36. How to Share Files Across the Internet.
37. Using Keychain Access.
VI. EXTRA STUFF.
38. Using the Classic Environment (Mac OS 9).
39. Parts and Peripherals.
40. Reformatting and Portions.
41. Visual Clues.
42. Extra Tips.
Special Characters and Accent Marks.
Zapf Dingbats Chars.