As organisations take a more strategic approach to managing people, human resource managers need a resource that focuses on this approach. This second edition does just that. It integrates unique new features and revises the content to make concepts easier to understand and apply. Increased coverage of diversity and globalisation is included. Additional discussions reflect the current economic and business environment and how that is impacting a company's HR strategies and practices. The Technology boxes in each chapter now take on a new twist and highlight some of the most current trends like social networking. Human resource managers will be able to use these concepts as they find out how to deal with the changing business environment.
c01: Seeing People As a Strategic Resource
c02: Making Human Resource Management Strategic
c03: Ensuring Equal Employment Opportunity and Safety
c04: Securing Effective Employees
c05: Recruiting Talented Employees
c06: Selecting Employees Who Fit
c07: Managing Employee Retention And Separation
c08: Measuring Performance And Providing Feedback
c09: Training For Improved Performance
c10: Developing Employees And Their Careers
c11: Motivating Employees Through Compensation
c12: Designing Compensation And Benefit Packages
c13: Working Effectively With Labor
c14: Aligning Strategy With Practice
* New research: Supports the benefits of aligning human resource practice with organizational strategy is included.
* Updated case examples: Reflect innovative ideas being carried out in contemporary organizations.
* Diverse workforce and competitive advantage: Chapter 3 has been significantly revised to better reflect the competitive advantage that can be gained by developing a diverse workforce.
* New HR Video Series: Video clips from CBS and BBC news utilize real world companies to illustrate human resource management concepts as outlined in the text.
* Updated HR Appendices: expand on key HR resources such as Occupational Outlook for HR Managers and Specialists, Human Resource Certification Institute Bodies of Knowledge, Human Resource Planning Society Knowledge Areas, Major Employment Laws in the United States, Organizations of Interest to HR Students and Professionals, Journals Useful to HR Students and Professionals