NOTE - TO ORDER THIS BOOK, THE PUBLISHER REQUIRES US TO PROVIDE:
- THE STUDENT'S NAME
- COURSE NAME / COURSE CODE
- INSTUTION STUDENT IS ATTENDING
IF PLACED ON ORDER, A MEMBER OF OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE TEAM MAY CONTACT YOU TO ACQUIRE THESE DETAILS. PLEASE CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE IF YOU'D LIKE MORE INFORMATION.
ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY FOR SPEECH, LANGUAGE, AND HEARING, Fifth Edition, provides a solid foundation in anatomical and physiological principles relevant to communication sciences and disorders. Ideal for speech-language pathology and audiology students, as well as practicing clinicians, the text integrates clinical information with everyday experiences to reveal how anatomy and physiology relate to the speech, language, and hearing systems. Combining comprehensive coverage with abundant, full-color illustrations and a strong practical focus, the text makes complex material approachable even for students with little or no background in anatomy and physiology. Thoroughly updated to reflect current trends, techniques, and best practices, the Fifth Edition of this acclaimed text is supported by innovative Anatesse learning software-now accessible online via PC, Mac, and tablet devices-featuring tutorials, interactive quizzes, and other resources to help students of all learning styles master the material and prepare for professional licensing exams.
Table of Contents
1. Basic Elements of Anatomy.
2. Anatomy of Respiration.
3. Physiology of Respiration.
4. Anatomy of Phonation.
5. Physiology of Phonation.
6. Anatomy of Articulation and Resonation.
7. Physiology of Articulation and Resonation.
8. Physiology of Mastication and Deglutition.
9. Anatomy of Hearing.
10. Auditory Physiology.
Appendix A: Anatomical Terms.
Appendix B: Useful Combining Forms.
Appendix C: Muscles of Respiration.
Appendix D: Muscles of Phonation.
Appendix E: Muscles of Face, Soft Palate, and Pharynx.
Appendix F: Sensors.
Appendix G: Cranial Nerves.
Appendix H: Pathologies that Affect Speech Production.
- With its comprehensive coverage and practical focus, this acclaimed text provides speech-language pathology and audiology students with a thorough introduction to the specific aspects of anatomy and physiology relevant to their fields.
- Featuring detailed clinical information, full-color illustrations, and practical examples and applications, the text is ideal for students of all backgrounds, professionals, and licensed clinicians in need of a reliable reference.
- The authors have included more than 300 full-color anatomical images to help students form a clear, accurate understanding of the classical framework of the speech, language, and hearing systems.
- Clinical Notes boxes throughout the text explore disorders seen by speech-language pathologists and audiologists, providing valuable real-world context for anatomy and physiology principles covered in the chapters.
- Students can take advantage of interactive study resources (Anatesse, MindTap) designed with today's digital learners in mind; highlights include auto-graded quizzes, image labeling activities, crossword puzzles, matching exercises, multiple choice and fill-in-the-blank questions, flash cards, and animations.
- Multimedia animations support more rapid learning and deeper understanding by enabling exploration of anatomy and physiology relevant to hearing, phonation, respiration, swallowing, and other key processes.
New to Edition
- Completely revised physiology of swallowing now includes updated views of infant development, the stages of swallowing, and neurophysiological underpinnings of the process.
- A broadened discussion of the instrumentation associated with all the systems of communication conveys the richness of the research within the fields.
- New research covering the very latest industry trends and technology is highlighted through revised sections covering articulatory and auditory physiology, along with new and expanded content on the effects of aging, neuroimaging, and the DIVA model.
- Many new images have been added, encouraging a clear and accurate understanding of the classical framework of the speech, language, and hearing systems.
- Clinical Notes boxes link anatomy and physiology with disorders seen by speech-language pathologists and audiologists to provide real-world applications for students.
- Fully revised ANATESSE software is now platform neutral and internet-based, providing on-the-go learning, with new labs, simulations, and updates to content. Anatesse now offers gradebook functionality with reporting for student scores and time spent on task. Experience the classic systems three dimensionally with animations that explore the important processes of hearing, phonation, respiration, swallowing, and more.
- NEW! MindTap is a fully online, interactive learning experience built upon authoritative Cengage Learning content. MindTap combines readings, multimedia, activities, and assessments into a singular learning path, and elevates learning by providing real-world application to better engage students. MindTap includes an interactive eBook with highlighting and note-taking capability, self-quizzes, and learning activities such as image labeling, crossword puzzles, matching, multiple choice, flash cards, and more.