The team that brought you the bestselling Beginning iPhone Development is back again for Beginning iOS 5 Development, and this time they're offering the best coverage available of Apple's new iOS 5 SDK and the latest version of Xcode.
You'll see all of the new technologies available with iOS 5 - including multitasking, iAd, Game Center, and countless new APIs - and put them to good use creating your very own apps for the iPhone 4S (and earlier iPhones), iPod touch, and iPad 2. Many of the discussions in the original book have been clarified and extended to include development techniques for the iPad, and all of the projects have been rebuilt from scratch using the iOS 5 templates. Assuming only a minimal working knowledge of Objective-C, and written in a friendly, easy-to-follow style, Beginning iOS 5 Development offers a complete soup-to-nuts course in iPhone and iPad programming.
The book starts with the basics, walking through the process of downloading and installing iOS 5 and its SDK, and then guides you though the creation of your first simple application. From there, you'll learn how to integrate all the interface elements Apple touch users have come to know and love, such as buttons, switches, pickers, toolbars, and sliders. You'll master a variety of design patterns, from the simplest single view to complex hierarchical drill-downs. The confusing art of table building will be demystified, and you'll learn how to save your data using the iPhone file system.
You'll also learn how to save and retrieve your data using SQLite, iPhone's built-in database management system. In addition, you'll learn about Core Data, the standard for persistence that Apple introduced to the iPhone with SDK 3. And there's much more! You'll learn to draw using Quartz 2D and OpenGL ES, add multitouch gestural support (pinches and swipes) to your applications, and work with the camera, photo library, accelerometer, and built-in GPS.
You'll discover the fine points of application preferences and learn how to localize your apps for multiple languages.
* The iOS 5 update to the bestselling and most recommended book for Cocoa touch developers
* Packed full of tricks, techniques, and enthusiasm for the new SDK from a developer perspective
* Written in an accessible, easy-to-follow style What you'll learn
* Everything you need to know to develop your own bestselling iPhone and iPad apps
* Best practices for optimizing your code and delivering great user experiences
* How to create "universal" apps for both the iPhone and iPad
* What is data persistence and why is it important
* Get started with building cool, crisp User Interfaces
* What and how to use Table Views
* How to do graphics with Quartz and OpenGL ES
* What geo app development features the new iOS 5 brings to the iPhone 4S * How to get your app in iCloud * And much much more...Who this book is for Everyone who wants to start developing for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad!