Every day, architects and developers are asked to solve specific business problems in the most efficient way possible using a broad range of technologies. Packed with real-world examples of how to use the latest Microsoft technologies, this book tackles over a dozen specific use case patterns and provides an applied implementation with supporting code downloads for every chapter.
In this book, we guide you through thirteen architectural patterns and provide detailed code samples for the following technologies: Windows Server AppFabric, Windows Azure Platform AppFabric, SQL Server (including Integration Services, Service Broker, and StreamInsight), BizTalk Server, Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), and Windows Workflow Foundation (WF). This book brings together - and simplifies - the information and methodology you need to make the right architectural decisions and use a broad range of the Microsoft platform to meet your requirements. Throughout the book, we will follow a consistent architectural decision framework which considers key business, organizational, and technology factors.
The book is broken up into four sections. First, we define the techniques and methodologies used to make architectural decisions throughout the book. In Part I, we provide a set of primers designed to get you up to speed with each of the technologies demonstrated in the book. Part II looks at messaging patterns and includes use cases which highlight content-based routing, workflow, publish/subscribe, and distributed messaging. Part III digs into data processing patterns and looks at bulk data processing, complex events, multi-master synchronization, and more. Finally, Part IV covers performance-related patterns including low latency, failover to the cloud, and reference data caching.
Expert assessment and implementation guidance across 13 Enterprise scenarios
What you will learn from this book :
* How to organize your evaluation of candidate solutions to a given business problem
* Review the new features in WCF and Workflow that are available in .NET 4.0
* Explore the hosting of WCF and Workflow solutions in Windows Server AppFabric and dive deeper into the best usage scenarios for these frameworks
* Look at the core components and compelling aspects of BizTalk Server 2010
* See where to use the data movement, master data management and data governance of SQL Server Integration Services, Microsoft Sync Framework, and SQL Server Service Broker
* How to determine when to use BizTalk Server versus Windows Workflow for workflow applications and BizTalk Server versus SQL Server when sharing data
* Walk through developing your first Windows Azure Platform AppFabric, and SQL Azure applications and get an overview of each of the components of the Windows Azure Platform
* Construct high volume event processing solutions using the new StreamInsight engine included with SQL Server 2008
* Discover the value of distributed cache and how to build solutions using the new Caching Framework built into Windows Server AppFabric
The book consists of a set of business scenarios and corresponding solution critiques. Each "use case" chapter is made up of a problem description, assessment of implementation options, and the selection of the ideal solution candidate. We then construct the solution using the chosen Microsoft technology.
Who this book is written for
This book is for architects, developers, and managers who need to improve their knowledge of the Microsoft application platform. This book will appeal to anyone who wants to get up to speed on selecting the most appropriate platform for a particular problem. Consultants and executive leadership will also find significant value in this book. A good understanding of the general Windows platform and development technologies would be helpful.